Delft University of Technology ‘18
leonoverweel.com / firstname.lastname@example.org / @LayOn_OverWhale
For a single-page PDF version of my resume, click here. If you’re looking for my complete resume, you’re in the right place!
- Delft University of Technology, Delft, Netherlands (2015 - Today)
- B.Sc. Computer Science and Engineering.
- Participating in Honours Programme Delft, which involves earning 20 extra ECTS through research and interfacultary classes.
- Finished freshman year with a 9.1 GPA (3rd in my class).
- Selected to study abroad at the National University of Singapore.
- Rye High School, Rye, NY, USA (2011 - 2015)
- 10 Advanced Placement courses.
- Johns Hopkins Center for Talented Youth online physics course.
- Completed high school with a 99.49 GPA (top 10% in my class).
👨💻 Industry Experience
- Founder, Askey (July 2017 - Today)
- Currently building Askey, a Messenger-based market research platform launching early 2018.
- OpenDC Product Lead, @Large Research (June 2016 - June 2017):
- Worked in the @Large Research group as product lead and software engineer for OpenDC: a free, open-source datacenter simulator for education.
- One of three students who built the initial OpenDC prototype over the summer of 2016.
- Management responsibilities: Sprint planning, conference presentations, and roadmap management.
- Engineering responsibilities: Database, API design, and web server components.
- Chief Hacker Experience, HackDelft (Aug. 2016 - June 2017):
- Organized HackDelft, the first hackathon organized by the study association ‘Christiaan Huygens’.
- Responsibilities: HackDelft’s jury, keynote speaker, @HackDelft twitter account, working with Major League Hacking, and general “hacker experience.”
- Teaching Assistant, Delft University of Technology (Aug. 2016 - June 2017):
- TI1406 Computer Organization: tutored and graded Assembly programming lab assignments for first-year BSc students.
- TI1206M Linear Algebra: translated Dutch-language final exams to English.
- UD1031 Robotics: created a lesson plan and exercises for an OpenDC-based tutorial on the relevance of datacenters to robotics.
- Independently: created book summaries and study material for various courses, available for free online.
- Software Engineering Intern, Mugsy (May 2015 - July 2015):
- Developed the front and back ends of a website featuring an easy-to-use custom Content Management System that allows administrators without coding skills to add, edit and remove multiple types of content pages.
- Robotics and Software Engineering Intern, Delft University of Technology (June 2014 - July 2014):
- Developed a Robot-OS-based GUI for TU Delft’s 3mxl motor board that allows students and professors to intuitively edit robots’ motor parameters and share defaults across devices using XML files.
🌐 Selected Personal Projects
In my free time, I love to work on side projects. They range from websites (🌐) and open source code (🎁), to film (🎥) and robotics (🤖).
- Dutch Hackathon List 🌐🎁 (2017): Collaboratively building the most comprehensive list of upcoming hackathons in the Netherlands at hackathonlist.nl.
- World Port Hackathon ‘16 🌐 (2016): Blockchain-based app to help customs agencies detect smuggling in freight containers. We won the first-place prize, and worked with the Dutch customs agency and TU Delft Cyber Security group to build an extended hyperledger-based prototype.
- Intersect.Ninja 🌐🎁 (2015): Find intersections in the artists and songs different people like, based on their public Spotify playlists.
- Arc Spin 🌐 (2015): Mobile and desktop browser game in which you avoid spinning obstacles to score points.
- Link Syncer 🌐 (2015): Quick shortlinks that will only redirect once everyone has clicked. Great to sync watching videos while chatting!
- Rye High Jinx 🎥 (2015): What happens when a student and a teacher switch bodies? The 2015 Rye High School senior movie!
- Reddit Weekly 🌐 (2015): Make sure you don’t miss out on top posts from your favorite subreddits using customizable, weekly emails.
- Stop Freebooting Now 🌐🎥 (2015): Documenting websites and social media pages that steal online creators’ original content.
- AP World: Greatest Hits 🎥 (2013): Final project my friends and I made for AP World History. The video has over 30,000 views on YouTube.
- FCCYSF 🎥 (2012): High quality stock footage for filmmakers, completely free. The channel has 250 videos and over 750 subscribers on YouTube.
- PriNXT 🤖 (2012): A LEGO Mindstorms NXT plotter robot that could “print” images on paper. The demo video has over 220,000 views on YouTube.
- Skype Car 🤖 (2012): A little robotic car that hundreds of people around the world drove around my room via Skype. Skype Car was featured on Engadget.
You can see many more of my personal projects on my website, leonoverweel.com!
Below is a list of my publications.
- A. Iosup, G. Andreadis, V. van Beek, M. Bijman, E. van Eyk, M. Neacsu, L. Overweel, S. Talluri, L. Versluis, and M. Visser. The OpenDC Vision: Towards Collaborative Datacenter Simulation and Exploration for Everybody, to appear as invited paper at ISPDC-2017
🏆 Selected Awards
- T500: The 500 Most Talented Under-25s in Digital, The Next Web / Young Creators (2017)
- 1st Place: The Overall Best WPH Idea, World Port Hackathon (2015)
- 3rd Place: Google API Prize, Hack the North (2015)
- National AP Scholar Award, The College Board (2015)
- AP Scholar with Distinction Award, The College Board (2014)
- University of Pennsylvania Book Award, Rye High School (2014)
- Departmental Awards, Rye High School (2012 - 2015)
- Received for AP Calculus BC, Fundamentals of Programming, English, French, and Painting & Drawing
💬 Selected Keynotes and Invited Talks
- CompSys-2017, TU Delft ASCI (2017): The OpenDC Vision: Towards Collaborative Datacenter Simulation and Exploration for Everybody
- ICT.OPEN2017, ICT.OPEN (2017): The OpenDC Vision: Towards Collaborative Datacenter Simulation and Exploration for Everybody
- I Am Blockchain, Sogeti (2017): PassPort: Container Tracking on Blockchain
- Blockchain for Enterprises, Governments and Institutions, BECON (2016): PassPort: Container Tracking on Blockchain
💻 Technical Skills
- I’ve done many projects in Python, Java, and SQL.
- I have some experience in Assembly, Prolog, and GOAL.
- I’ve done many projects using Flask, Google App Engine, OpenAPI, and Mindstorms NXT.
- I’m comfortable using Linux, nginx, Docker and Docker Compose, Java Spark, and RobotOS.
I’m comfortable using the Spotify API and the Reddit API.
I’ve done many projects with Git, GitHub, IntelliJ, Visual Studio Code, and PyCharm