The University of Edinburgh
leonoverweel.com / email@example.com / @LayOn_OverWhale
For a single-page PDF version of my resume, click here. If you’re looking for my complete resume, you’re in the right place!
- University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, Scotland (2018 - Today)
- Coursework (to be completed):
- Semester 1: Machine Learning and Pattern Recognition; Extreme Computing; Social and Technological Networks; Informatics Research Review; Machine Learning Practical.
- Semester 2: Reinforcement Learning; Natural Language Understanding, Generation, and Machine Translation; Innovation-driven Entrepreneurship; Informatics Project Proposal; Machine Learning Practical (cont.).
- Summer: MSc Thesis.
- Delft University of Technology, Delft, Netherlands (2015 - 2018)
- BSc Computer Science and Engineering.
- Graduated cum laude with an 8.62/10 GPA and a 9/10 grade for my BSc thesis.
- Completed the Honours Programme Delft, earning 23 extra ECTS through research and interfacultary classes.
- Coursework (TA = Teaching Assistant; CM = created free Course Materials):
- Intelligent Systems: Logic-Based Artificial Intelligence; Multi-Agent Systems Project; Signal + Image Processing; Multimedia Analysis (CM).
- Computer Systems: Computer Organization (TA, CM); Computer Networks (TA).
- Information Systems: Web & Database Technology (CM); Information & Data Modeling.
- Software Development: Object Oriented Programming + Project; Algorithms & Data Structures (CM); Software Quality & Testing; Software Engineering Methods; Concept of Programming Languages; Contextproject.
- Fundamentals: Reasoning and Logic (CM); Algorithm Design; Automata, Languages & Computability; Complexity Theory.
- Math & Modeling: Computer Graphics; Calculus (CM); Linear Algebra (TA, CM); Probability Theory & Statistics.
- National University of Singapore, Singapore (2017)
- Selected to study abroad at the National University of Singapore to do my minor in Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence.
- Computer Science: Machine Learning; Natural Language Processing; Computer Security; Optimization Algoritms.
- Philosophy: Language and Thought.
- Rye High School, Rye, NY, USA (2011 - 2015)
- 10 Advanced Placement courses.
- Johns Hopkins Center for Talented Youth online physics course.
- Completed high school with a 99.49 GPA (top 10% in my class).
👨💻 Industry Experience
- Founder, Nubic (July 2018 - Today)
- Nubic is the new home for all my side projects. Watch this space for more!
- Software Engineering Intern, ING Bank, (April 2018 - July 2018)
- Worked in a four-student team to create Mapp, an internal tool for customer journey mapping at ING, as our BSc graduation project.
- Focused on finding product-market fit by shipping the Java + Polymer web app in two-week sprints and getting user feedback constantly.
- Users love Mapp and we are working to deploy the app throughout ING.
- For more info, read about our development process in our BSc thesis report (PDF) or watch a short walk-through of the software (YouTube).
- OpenDC Product Lead; Student Researcher, @Large Research (June 2016 - July 2018):
- Worked in the @Large Research group as product lead and software engineer for OpenDC: a free, open-source datacenter simulator for education.
- One of three students who built the initial OpenDC prototype over the summer of 2016.
- Management responsibilities: Sprint planning, conference presentations, and roadmap management.
- Engineering responsibilities: Database, API design, and web server components.
- My post-product lead role centered around the Cloud Availability Study, to automatically collect uptime and crash data about major cloud services providers for use in the OpenDC simulator.
- Co-Founder, Chief Hacker Experience, HackDelft (Aug. 2016 - June 2017):
- Organized HackDelft, the first hackathon organized by the study association ‘Christiaan Huygens’.
- Responsibilities: HackDelft’s jury, keynote speaker, @HackDelft twitter account, working with Major League Hacking, and general “hacker experience.”
- Teaching Assistant, TU Delft / VU Amsterdam (Aug. 2016 - April 2018):
- TI1406 Computer Organization (TUD): tutored and graded Assembly programming lab assignments for first-year BSc students.
- TI1206M Linear Algebra (TUD): translated Dutch-language final exams to English.
- UD1031 Robotics (TUD): created a lesson plan and exercises for an OpenDC-based tutorial on the relevance of datacenters to robotics.
- X_400487 Computer Networkds (VU): created and graded exercises.
- Independently: created book summaries and study material for various courses, available for free online.
- Software Engineering Intern, Mugsy (May 2015 - July 2015):
- Developed the front and back ends of a website featuring an easy-to-use custom Content Management System that allows administrators without coding skills to add, edit and remove multiple types of content pages.
- Robotics and Software Engineering Intern, TU Delft (June 2014 - July 2014):
- Developed a Robot-OS-based GUI for TU Delft’s 3mxl motor board that allows students and professors to intuitively edit robots’ motor parameters and share defaults across devices using XML files.
🌐 Selected Personal Projects
In my free time, I love to work on side projects. They range from websites (🌐) and open source code (🎁), to film (🎥) and robotics (🤖).
- Dutch Hackathon List 🌐🎁 (2017): Collaboratively building the most comprehensive list of upcoming hackathons in the Netherlands at hackathonlist.nl.
- World Port Hackathon ‘16 🌐 (2016): Blockchain-based app to help customs agencies detect smuggling in freight containers. We won the first-place prize, and worked with the Dutch customs agency and TU Delft Cyber Security group to build an extended hyperledger-based prototype.
- Intersect.Ninja 🌐🎁 (2015): Find intersections in the artists and songs different people like, based on their public Spotify playlists.
- Arc Spin 🌐 (2015): Mobile and desktop browser game in which you avoid spinning obstacles to score points.
- Link Syncer 🌐 (2015): Quick shortlinks that will only redirect once everyone has clicked. Great to sync watching videos while chatting!
- Rye High Jinx 🎥 (2015): What happens when a student and a teacher switch bodies? The 2015 Rye High School senior movie!
- Reddit Weekly 🌐 (2015): Make sure you don’t miss out on top posts from your favorite subreddits using customizable, weekly emails.
- Stop Freebooting Now 🌐🎥 (2015): Documenting websites and social media pages that steal online creators’ original content.
- AP World: Greatest Hits 🎥 (2013): Final project my friends and I made for AP World History. The video has over 30,000 views on YouTube.
- FCCYSF 🎥 (2012): High quality stock footage for filmmakers, completely free. The channel has 250 videos and over 750 subscribers on YouTube.
- PriNXT 🤖 (2012): A LEGO Mindstorms NXT plotter robot that could “print” images on paper. The demo video has over 220,000 views on YouTube.
- Skype Car 🤖 (2012): A little robotic car that hundreds of people around the world drove around my room via Skype. Skype Car was featured on Engadget.
You can see many more of my personal projects on my website, leonoverweel.com!
Below is a list of my published articles.
- Vos, Daniel, et al. “DEFenD: A Secure and Privacy-Preserving Decentralized System for Freight Declaration.” Proceedings of 1st ERCIM Blockchain Workshop 2018. European Society for Socially Embedded Technologies (EUSSET), 2018. (PDF, EUSSET, arXiv)
- Iosup, Alexandru, et al. “The OpenDC Vision: Towards Collaborative Datacenter Simulation and Exploration for Everybody.” Parallel and Distributed Computing (ISPDC), 2017 16th International Symposium on. IEEE, 2017. (PDF, IEEE).
Below is a list of my open access reports (not peer-reviewed):
- Kluiters, T M, et al. “MAPP: ING Customer Journey Mapping.” TU Delft Repositories, 4 July 2018. (BSc Thesis; PDF, TUD).
🏆 Selected Awards
- T500: The 500 Most Talented Under-25s in Digital, The Next Web / Young Creators (2017, 2018)
- 1st Place: The Overall Best WPH Idea, World Port Hackathon (2015)
- 3rd Place: Google API Prize, Hack the North (2015)
- National AP Scholar Award, The College Board (2015)
- AP Scholar with Distinction Award, The College Board (2014)
- University of Pennsylvania Book Award, Rye High School (2014)
- Departmental Awards, Rye High School (2012 - 2015)
- Received for AP Calculus BC, Fundamentals of Programming, English, French, and Painting & Drawing
💬 Selected Keynotes and Invited Talks
- CompSys-2017, TU Delft ASCI (2017): The OpenDC Vision: Towards Collaborative Datacenter Simulation and Exploration for Everybody
- ICT.OPEN2017, ICT.OPEN (2017): The OpenDC Vision: Towards Collaborative Datacenter Simulation and Exploration for Everybody
- I Am Blockchain, Sogeti (2017): PassPort: Container Tracking on Blockchain
- Blockchain for Enterprises, Governments and Institutions, BECON (2016): PassPort: Container Tracking on Blockchain
💻 Technical Skills
- I’ve done many projects in Python, Java, and SQL.
- I have some experience in Assembly, Prolog, and GOAL.
- I’ve done many projects using Flask, Polymer, Google App Engine, OpenAPI, Bootstrap, and Mindstorms NXT.
- I’m comfortable using Linux, nginx, Docker and Docker Compose, Java Spark, and RobotOS.
I’m comfortable using the Spotify API and the Reddit API.
I’ve done many projects with Git, GitHub, IntelliJ, Visual Studio Code, and PyCharm